Here’s my contribution to Blog Action Day
How many ways can motto Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and REinvent be applied in your life?
I started using this motto many years ago for my company policy. I’ve actually made an art of it, some people say.
Here is a very short list of things I do with the business and in the Betty B. shop:
1. Reuse packaging materials collected from a network of neighboring businesses and my own incoming for ALL outbound shipping.
2. Walk or bike to run errands nearby. Great way to stay in touch with the community!
3. I save all scraps and useful items, i.e. loose beads, stones, strings, shells and much more for a local craft room for the handicapped. They LOVE it and nothing gets wasted.
4. Go paperless where I can, only sending catalog printouts when customers demand it.
5. Keep automatic timers on all display lights in the store, so they don’t stay on at night longer than needed.
6. Scour garage sales and the beach for interesting and unique items to use to display my goods in the shop instead of buying new.
7. Customers can bring in their old (small) batteries to our battery drop at the shop for recycling. We bring them to the recycling center. This prevents batteries from ending up in a landfill.
8. Post whatever I don’t need anymore on Freecycle. One man’s trash is another man’s treasure!
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and REinvent!
For further reading on ways to reduce, etc. go to www.blogactionday.org