Top Care Tips for Betty B. Sea Glass Jewelry
Sea glass obsessed? Ya, us too. So here’s are a couple of super helpful tips on the best ways to keep your beach gems as sparking as the day you got it from our shop, or better yet, found it yourself on the sand…
#1 Keep your jewelry out of the water
Seems obvious, but this one is hard for you mermaids, surfers & beach babes out there. Submerging your sea glass jewelry subjects it to all kinds of sad situations:
- It gets lost. Oceans, rivers, lakes & other bodies of water love to swallow back treasures taken from them.
- Mold or mildew. When moisture gets trapped in a silver setting, it’s possible bacteria can grow within the setting & beneath the sea glass if it doesn’t get totally drained & dried out. When this happens, your glass can look discolored or dirty.
- Chalky Glass & Tarnish. Exposing your sea glass & silver jewelry to salt, chlorine, chemicals & other unfriendly elements will cause it to tarnish. Not only will your sterling lose shine, it can leave sea glass looking dusty, dry, or like there’s a “milky” film on it.
#2 Store your pieces with loving care
We get it, it’s easy to throw your jewelry in a pile on a dish or in a drawer at the end of the day– or even easier, never take it off. But if you allow your Betty goodies to get thrashed around, sea glass could chip, or get scratched. Best to keep them in a dedicated jewelry box, or special spot where you know it won’t get banged up a bit.
#3 Clean & polish often
To extend the beauty & life of your pretty little Bettys, take a bit of time for TLC. It’s super quick & easy:
- Use regular ol’ glass cleaner & a soft cloth to remove surface dirt or grime & it’ll brighten glass right up.
- For dull or gritty looking glass, rub a tiny amount of coconut oil into it with your fingers & it’ll instantly glisten & glow again. Other natural oils with mild or no smell such as mineral, jojoba, or safflower oil works fine too. *Bonus, it’s great for your skin!
- If using a silver polishing cloth, be sure to only buff the surface of the silver. Special cleaning solution on polishing cloths will leave dark smudges on sea glass.
Caring for Your Sea Glass Finds
- If you brought home sea glass straight from the beach, rinse it with fresh water to remove sand, grit, or grime & spread it out evenly on a clean towel to dry.
- Prevent fresh chips and breaks by avoiding pouring sea glass from one vessel to another and by storing it so it can’t shift or rattle around much. This also goes for sending glass in the mail. Rolling it up tight in a plastic bag and bubble wrap is always a safe way to ship it.
- Let us transform your sea glass finds into cherished jewelry with a custom order! For just a $10 custom fee (in addition to the base-price of the design you choose), we can make almost all of our designs for you with your own glass!
- Bring your most treasured pieces in & we can help you transform your special sea glass scores into Betty bling. Check out our Orders & Repair FAQ for the deets on custom jewelry orders.
- Find fun DIY ideas on our Betty B. Pinterest for how to enjoy & appreciate your glass, instead of letting it collect dust, or sit in a sad stash out of sight.
Happy Sea Glass Loving!